Written by Umang Saini
JabalpurI don't do many trip logs, which is the result of taking very few trips. The last trip log I wrote was way back in April 2010 (Puducherry).
The list of trips after year 2000-01, now stands at 10. Here's the updated list -
- Jaipur - 2003, with Family. 2n, 3d
- Dehradun - 2005, with Suchit. 1n, 2d (Yuvraj's Cousins' wedding)
- Mumbai - 2007, with Amol and Sachin. 2n, 3d
- Mysore / Ooty - 2007, with Family. 3n, 4d
- Kerela - 2008, with Mohit et. all. 4n, 3d
- Puducherry - 2009, with Yuvraj and Aditya. 3n, 2d
- Udaipur, Mount Abu - Sept. 2011 - 6d, 5n
- Chandigarh - Jan 2012 - 2d, 1n
- Andaman's - Dec 2012 - 4d, 3n
- Jabalpur - July 2013 - 3d, 2n (54 hours travel, 12 hours stay)
Here's the obligatory expense breakup. Total expenses - $105
I used a mix of transport options for the trip -
- Flight Bangalore to Nagpur - 918 km, Rs. 4048 = Rs. 4.4 per km. ~650 kmph
- Bus From Nagpur to Jabalpur - 267km, Rs. 260 = Rs. 1.0 per km ~27 kmph
- Train from Jabalpur to Bangalore - 2000km, Rs. 654 = Rs. 0.32 per km ~55 kmph
Incidentally, this was the 120th leave I've taken in last eight years.
(Yes Total number of Sick Leaves in 8 years is 2.5, from which 1.5 days were taken in May this year.)
And finally the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Marriage arrangements were done exceptionally well. I loved the warm hospitality of hosts from Jabalpur and Bulandshahr. I enjoyed my time there.
- Onward Flight - BMTC's Vayu Vajra came on time, Indigo flight was also on time as usual.
- Met Joydeep after a long time (~June 2010, 3+ years)
- Great weather throughout the journey. Light drizzles and cool breeze. Managed to finish two books in the 54 hour travel time.
- Traveled in Sleeper class after about two years. You tend to get significantly more interesting people to interact in Sleeper vs. 2-3 tier AC bogeys. This also saved me ~Rs. 1300. I'll be posting about these conversations soon.
- De-boarded Sanghmitra Express at KR Puram Railway Station instead of City. Also took a private bus, instead of BMTC. This took about 30 minutes extra vs. going to City Railway station and hiring a cab or an auto.
- Breakfast at Bangalore Airport - Rs. 120, consisted of Two idli's and a vada.
Wedding Dinner - Went light. Only 1 chapati.
- Took Private bus from Nagpur to Jabalpur which took 10 hours instead of 7. This was a painfully long bus ride, especially because the operator was stopping for 10 minutes at every other village.
- Pre-Paid Taxi Fare from Nagpur Airport is obnoxiously high. Rs. 400 for 11 km. Fie Fie.